THE LAMP JUMP
INTRODUCING TO ANIMATION
After the introductory lectures on Maya for animators and the basic principles, in this video we will animate a lamp and make it jump like the famous Pixar lamp does. We will focus on Timing and energy of the jump by creating a contrast in poses and movements between the head and the base of the lamp. Then, we will work on the Overlapping actions, which play an essential role in such animations.
– The rig and the starting pose
– Anticipation to the jump
– Rearrange the tangents for the upward jump
– Differences between the base and the head
– Overshoot e assessment
– Head rotations
– Splines refining
– Final addition
– Repeat the video exercise
– Create different variations of the character animation, for example by making it jump over obstacles, move forward through little jumps or change direction. If you want to go further, try to make it interact with a character from the previous lessons.
Keep the animation simple, don’t over complicate it.
UPLOAD YOUR ANIMATION
Send your work to our private Facebook group to receive feedback
Simple rules to post your animations:
– it’s ok to export a playblast from Maya without rendering it
– make the frame counts on the view visible (“Display->Head UP Display->Frame Rate”)
– we suggest creating a .mp4 using the h264 codec
– create a new post in this group and upload your animation
– it’s warmly recommended to upload your animation also on syncscketch.com and share the link as well.
Keep in mind that it is good practice to give feedback on the animations of your fellow animators if you want to receive more feedback on your works. Furthermore, by giving feedback, you will develop your critical eye to become a better animator.